Roots of Love is part of the 12th Annual DC Asian Pacific Film Festival and will screen on Friday, October 7 at 9:15 pm at the Goethe-Institut as part of the shorts program “Losing Roots, Finding Home” Тhe documentary, directed by Harjant Gill, depicts the generational shifts in the significance of hair and the turban among Sikhs in India. Cutting your hair can lead to cutting ties with your family and community.
Told through the stories of six different men ranging in age from fourteen to eighty-six, Roots of Love documents the changing significance of hair and the turban among Sikhs in India. We see younger Sikh men abandoning their hair and turban to follow the current fashion trends, while the older generation struggles to retain the visible symbols of their religious identity. The film is a timely and relevant exploration of the inherent conflict between tradition and modernity, between pragmatism and faith. The choice of cutting one’s hair is one that not only concerns the individual and his family, but an entire community.
An interview with Gill aired on WAMU 88.5 American University Radio’s Interfaith Voices on Sunday, October 2nd at 4:00 PM. Listen online at http://wamu.org/
Watch the film trailer:
The APA Film Festival is scheduled for 7 days from October 6 to October 15. In addition to paid programs, APA Film will offer programs that are entirely FREE to the public at the Smithsonian Freer and Sackler Galleries. For information about feature and short films, Opening and Closing Night reception and much more, please visit www.apafilm.org
– Chicago South Asian Film Festival, October 2011
– DC Asian Pacific American Film Festival, October 2011
– Tasveer – Seattle South Asian Film Festival October 2011
– Annual Public Anthropology Conference at American University, Washington DC, October 2011
– Annual South Asia Studies Conference at the University of Wisconsin – Madison, October 2011
– New Directions in South Asian Diaspora Research Conference at Yale University, November 2011
– Society for Visual Anthropology Film Festival, Annual American Anthropology Association Conference in Montreal, November 2011