Anthropology News website has an expansive array of content and commentary in addition the their print version. Here’s a highlight of a popular trending story by AAA member, Robert R. Sauders. Read the entire article here.
Over the past two months, the Occupy Wall Street (OWS) movement has captured the attention of the world with its ongoing demonstrations aimed at highlighting the social, political and economic disparities that exist between the wealthiest 1% and the remaining 99% of the population. What began as a call by the Canada-based Adbusters magazine for a protest in the financial district of New York City to address the overwhelming influence and power of corporations and financial institutions has quickly spread across the country and throughout the world. However, defining OWS has proven difficult given its lack of hierarchical leadership, absence of specific, actionable demands and overwhelmingly cellular organizational structure. Views on the movement have varied with opponents framing OWS as “a growing mob” and supporters identifying OWS as “a democratic awakening”.