Cast your vote by logging in to AnthroGateway, click on the “My Information” page, and then click on the “Vote Now!” button.
This month we’ll take a look at the candidates.
Featured today are the candidates for the Nominations Committee Linguistic Seat: Chaise LaDousa and Shonna Trinch
Responsibilities of the Nomination Committee include:
- To organize information regarding candidates that have been nominated for any AAA elected position (nominees can be self-nominated or by an individual or group of members of the AAA)
- To make sure that all necessary information has been received by the committee in time for the meeting (especially proof that the nominee has agreed to run and, should s/he win, accept the position)
- To meet annually to discuss nominations
- To make recommendations to the Executive Board regarding the candidates for each position
- To utilize the specific guidelines established by the Executive Board when making recommendation
Click here to learn more about the Nominations Committee.
I enjoyed working with other members of the Nominations Committee of the Society for Linguistic Anthropology from 2009 to 2012. We discussed attributes of potential candidates and put together slates of candidates. I served as chair of the committee during my last two years of membership. I would appreciate the opportunity to serve on the Nominations Committee of the AAA in the seat designated for linguistics so that I might extend conversations about viable slates to the larger structure of the AAA.
I would be honored to serve the AAAs by filling the linguistics seat on the Nominations Committee. I have more than 15 years of experience in the profession as a linguistic who was trained in Hispanic languages and linguistics and has worked in modern languages and anthropology departments. In the different departments in which I have worked, I have led search committees for candidates across several disciplines including linguistics, literature, Latino and Latin American studies, anthropology and gender studies. This experience has trained me to organize and manage candidate materials, to cooperate and work with search committee members and to communicate our recommendations to the faculties involved. As a long-standing Faculty Senate member at John Jay College, I have represented the diverse interests of my department to this College-wide body and I have ensured that my colleagues are informed of its work as well. By helping to select candidates for leadership positions in AAAs, I will work hard to complete the tasks necessary. One goal of mine is to ensure that linguistics is represented in the leadership of the AAAs and another is to encourage the selection of linguists who would be bridge-builders between all the fields of anthropology.
Log-in to AnthroGateway to vote today!